Preventive Maintenance Is Important
Maintaining the quality of your vehicle is important for many different reasons. The biggest reason is to prevent worse damage from happening. One service that will help greatly with this is having your oil changed regularly. Oil change service is something that our service center has down to a tee, and we’ll get you in and out in a timely manner.
Regularly scheduled oil changes can help maintain the performance of your vehicle for many years to come. There are multiple reasons why they’re important, and we will discuss those below. There are also different signs to watch out for to tell if you are in need of an oil change or not. Keep reading to learn more, and then schedule an appointment at our Amherst car dealership today.
Why Are Oil Changes Important?
Oil change service is one of the most common maintenance services that you can have done for your vehicle. It is vital for the continued performance and function of your vehicle, and here are a few reasons why:
- Lubrication: The oil you put inside your engine keep all of the metal components lubricated. This contributes to the efficiency and performance of those parts. You don’t want the parts to be rubbing directly against each other because that can create irreversible damage to your engine.
- Coolant: The oil not only lubricates the vital parts, but it also cools them. When your engine is running the components are constantly moving, which will create friction and friction in turn creates heat. Metal expands when it gets warm so you have the oil to help stop these parts from getting too hot.
- Fuel Efficiency: Fresh, clean oil can assist in giving you the best fuel efficiency possible for your vehicle. When your oil becomes thick and dirty it will cause your engine to work harder thus giving you lower fuel efficiency.
- Extended Life: Oil change service is a preventive maintenance service that can maintain the life of your vehicle and engine. Regularly scheduled oil changes will ensure that your engine is experiencing the projected amount of wear over time.
When Should You Have Your Oil Changed?
Now that you know why oil changes are important, you should know when to get one. There are a few easy to remember signs of needing oil change service.
- Mileage: The rule of thumb that most drivers use is to get your oil changed every 5,000 miles. It’s a good idea to keep track of how many miles your drive between oil changes so you can be sure not to cause more wear than necessary. Depending on the type of oil your vehicle takes, conventional or synthetic oil, you could wait up to 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. If you’re unsure of what your vehicle takes, feel free to give our certified technicians a call today.
- Engine Light: The next best sign that you need an oil change is if the check engine or oil lights turn on. Regardless if you need an oil change or not, if your check engine light comes on, you should bring it in for our technicians to look over. It could be something more serious than needing a simple oil change.
- Loud Noises: These can mean that the components inside your engine are directly touching and creating an unpleasant noise. Once these loud noises start you should have your engine looked at before some irreversible damage occurs.
- Color: Clean oil has a nice amber color while dirty oil is black. If you can see that your oil is no longer the amber color, there is a good chance it’s time for an oil change.
- Smoke: One of the last signs of needing service is smoke coming from or exhaust or engine. This could be a sign that there is either too little oil or there is oil directly on your engine and not inside of it. If your vehicle starts to smoke, bring it in for one of our technicians to give it a look.
Oil Change Service in Amherst
Spitzer Chevy Amherst is a trusted Chevrolet dealer with an incredible service center. Our team of certified technicians are dedicated to providing each of our customers with the experience that they deserve. Drivers from Lorain and Elyria come to our Amherst car dealership to save both time and money on their auto repair or maintenance service. We offer all of our customers different specials including oil change coupons. You can schedule an appointment for your next oil change with us online today.